You will be challenged. Rewarded. And valued for your unique experience, background and perspective.
Join a team where hard work pays off and original thinking is celebrated. As you build your future at Westfield, you will quickly learn that protecting our customer’s future is at the heart of what we do. We deliver on our promise to help restore lives and rebuild businesses when the unexpected happens. Building relationships has been part of our culture since 1848.
Be a part of a team that recognizes and appreciates those who take initiative, seek opportunity, and strive for innovation in a changing world. Internships offer an excellent opportunity for career development while generating contacts in an exciting industry. At Westfield Insurance, we offer a wide range of opportunities for interns to develop and grow in positions in their chosen academic area. Through our internships, we allow you to showcase your academic talent and guide you in setting achievable career aspirations. Our internship program encourages you to set meaningful goals and objectives for the duration of your internship. You’ll meet with key leaders, have job shadowing opportunities, make presentations, and even evaluate and contribute new ideas. Our interns receive meaningful assignments that impact our business. Your future is bright, promising, and full of endless possibilities. Explore those possibilities at Westfield Insurance where our interns work on projects that make a difference.
Personal Lines Intern Job Summary
Salary Range: $12.00 - $14.00 per hour
Interns will perform duties related to our revised loss referral process, and roof loss mitigation programs, as well as gain general underwriting knowledge, including learning our systems, products, quoting, etc. Intern will pair up with the other PL Intern on at least one project.
An intern is focused on developing business acumen. The intern will gain leadership experience in their assigned business unit. Typically, an intern is given a project to complete or is assigned day-to-day activities to assist the business unit. An intern actively participates in the summer internship program. While this position may require relocation for the duration of your internship, transportation will not be provided to and from your assigned work environment day-to-day.
Essential Functions (primary functions and/or reasons the job exists in order of importance)
1. Assists business unit with work assigned to them. This often includes, but is not limited to, project work and coverage of day-to-day activities within the business unit.
2. Actively participates in summer internship program events including Lunch & Learns.
3. Conducts research and/or other work for projects assigned.
4. May be responsible for department administrative and support duties.
5. Develops business acumen through interactions and shadowing with other professionals.
6. Attends business unit meetings as assigned.
7. Creates and delivers presentations.
8. Travels occasionally in order to participate in special assignments, training, and/or travel between office locations.
Desired Qualifications/Experience/Certification/Education (in order of importance)
1. Actively pursuing or within 1 year of receiving a secondary education degree with a related field of study.
2. Previous work experience.
3. Proven ability to collaborate and work with a team.
4. Demonstrated solid oral, written and interpersonal skills resulting in the ability to interact with all levels within the organization.
5. Demonstrated organization skills.
6. Demonstrated initiative and ability to work independently.
7. Valid driver’s license and a driving record that conforms to company standards.
Physical Requirements (specific to the role)
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
• Ability to work effectively in an office environment for 40+ hours per week (including sitting, standing and working on a computer for extended periods of time).
• Ability to communicate effectively in a collaborative work environment utilizing various technologies such as: telephone, computer, web, voice, teleconferencing, e-mail, etc.
• Ability to travel as required.
• Depending on assigned department, physical requirements may vary in severity.
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed in this role. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, skills, responsibilities, knowledge, etc. These may be subject to change and additional functions may be assigned as needed by management.
Enjoy a casual-dress atmosphere while taking advantage of a challenging and rewarding work environment. Our internship program starts your career and encourages you to set meaningful goals and objectives while you are with us. You will meet with key leaders, job shadow, make presentations and have fun along the way!
We are an equal opportunity employer/minority/female/disability/protected veteran.
About Westfield Insurance
Westfield will be admired as a leading personal and commercial lines property-casualty insurance company enabled by an exceptional team known for expertise and caring. We will be distinguished by excellence in commercial insurance, and customers will choose us for our insight about risk and the value we deliver.