We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Manager within our Rate Design team. Reporting to the Director of Pricing and Regulatory Affairs, the Senior Manager will lead two teams that will focus on delivering current rate design initiatives and developing new pricing strategies moving forward. The teams will use predictive modeling techniques including Generalized Linear Models as well as work with languages & programs such as R, Emblem, and Radar. We are looking for a people leader who has experience managing and motivating a team of actuarial professionals. The Senior Manager will be a key player in delivering new strategic framework with respect to our current pricing structure and delivering our current day to day activities.
Specific accountabilities include:
• Managing a staff of two managers that have two to four actuarial professionals each
• Work alongside our pricing senior manager to develop and maintain rating structures and rates, inclusive of soliciting input from multiple areas of the company
• Explore, develop, and implement new innovative pricing enhancements to current structure
• Prepare necessary regulatory filings, ensuring the data validation, reconciliation, modelling and reporting are consistent with accepted actuarial practice and correctly applied
• Work with multiple areas of the company to identify profitable markets and design appropriate products
• Remain up to date on current accepted methodologies and new emerging methodologies in insurance pricing
•Ensure procedures are in place to collect the relevant data necessary for the pricing process and verify its availability, completeness and accuracy
• Monitor the company’s insurance portfolio relating to changes in mix of business, retentions, current/prospective profitability etc. and report to management as necessary
• Lead performance of direct reports inclusive of providing professional and technical guidance, and provide regular performance reviews
• Working collaboratively and sharing resources with other team managers to ensure the commitments of the department are met.
The successful candidate will have several years’ related experience and a strong knowledge of actuarial pricing, modelling, and practices. Ability to create a collaborative and positive work environment, build and maintain strong and effective relationships, and effect change from a position of influence are key work attributes for this position. A proven track record of success in coaching and mentorship is required. Experience with automobile insurance or other P&C background is required.
Additional requirements include:
• Fellow of the Casualty Actuarial Society (CAS), or equivalent
• At least 10 years of relevant experience, including 3+ years of coaching/supervising a team
• Superior communication and presentation skills, with the ability to communicate with all levels of leadership at the right level for the audience
• Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to understand context and its impact on all issues, identify key areas requiring action and successfully execute strategies for resolution
•Willingness to act as a change agent for the organization, demonstrating courage and integrity
• Experience managing and coaching actuarial professionals.
A career at ICBC is an opportunity to be part of a talented, diverse and inclusive team that is driven to serve its customers and community. Make the most of your skills and take the opportunity to grow and develop your career. You can expect a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits and a challenging work environment. Drive your career with us.
ICBC is committed to being an inclusive employer, one that reflects the diversity of the people and communities of British Columbia.
Employer will assist with relocation costs.
About Insurance Corporation of British Columbia
ICBC is one of British Columbia's largest corporations and one of Canada’s largest property and casualty (P&C) insurers with annual earned premiums of $4.4 billion and $16.7 billion in assets.
A career at ICBC is more than a job— it’s an opportunity to be part of a talented, diverse and inclusive team that is driven to serve its customers and community. We’re committed to our employees’ experience and support ongoing learning and development. If you’re looking to challenge yourself, grow professionally, and make a real difference, we should talk. You may be exactly the kind of team member we’re looking for.